Rules For Temporary Street Closing
1. Streets may be temporarily closed (max. 4 hour limit) only with the written permission of the City Manager or her authorized representative.
2. All block parties must end at sunset: 8:00pm during Spring & Summer, 6:00pm during Fall & Winter.
3. Such closing may begin no earlier and must end no later than the times specified in the temporary street closing permit.
4. Only standard traffic control barricades provided by the City of Decatur may be used to close a street to ordinary traffic. Note: Delivery of barricades is not guaranteed if City sponsored special events require the use of barricades.
5. No object (such as an automobile, outdoor furniture, etc.) may be placed in the street in such a manner as to hinder easy and quick access to the closed area by emergency vehicles.
6. Owners and tenants of properties within the closed area may not be denied access to their properties. Upon request, you must temporarily remove the barricades to allow such persons free ingress and egress.
7. The street may be marked with chalk or similar materials that are easily removed, but may not be marked with paint, masking tape, or other materials that are difficult to remove.
8. Use of any street for purposes other than ordinary vehicular and pedestrian traffic exposes the user to certain inherent risks. Some drivers are careless and may not see or may ignore the barricades used to establish closed areas. The City of Decatur cannot accept any responsibility for the safety of persons who use the street for non‑travel purposes.
9. Though not required, you are encouraged to station an attendant near each barricade line as a precaution for warning of any oncoming vehicle as well as a service to those needing access to the closed area.
10. Open container laws prohibit selling or serving alcoholic beverages at Block Party events.
11. Private parties/events will not be permitted to block any city street.
12. A temporary street-closing permit may be revoked at any time, for any reason, without prior notice by the City Manager, her authorized representative, or any Decatur Police Officer or other public safety official.
13. All local and state ordinances must be observed. Any violations should be immediately reported to the Decatur Police at 404-373-6551.
Submit completed application to Captain Scott Richards, Decatur Police Department via email email@example.com.