Points of Interest

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Agnes Scott College  

Agnes Scott College
141 E. College Ave. Click for map 
Established in 1889 as Decatur Female Academy, Agnes Scott College was the first school in Georgia to be fully accredited (1907) and is still known for its high academic standards. The campus covers eight blocks and encompasses many residential properties and the Bradley Observatory, which is open to the public the second Friday of each month.

     

Columbia Theological Seminary

  Columbia Theological Seminary
701 Columbia Dr. Click for map
Columbia Theological Seminary, an educational institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA), prepares women and men for leadership in ordained and lay ministries through degree programs and lifelong learning opportunities. Its beautiful 52-acre campus anchors the southeastern quadrant of the City.
     
Decatur Cemetery   Decatur Cemetery
229 Bell St. Click for map
A walk through this woodsy, park-like retreat is a stroll through history. Markers of early pioneer settlers are often rough, lichen-covered stones. Later Victorian style markers tend to be ornate with sentimental epitaphs. The oldest part of the cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery's unique well house was built in 1881.
     
Decatur City Hall   Decatur City Hall
509 N. McDonough St. Click for map
Built in the Neo-classical Revival style, by architect William Sayward. Originally used as the City Library, City Hall and City Jail all in one, the building is now used for administration.
> Virtual tour
     
Decatur Railroad Depot   Decatur Railroad Depot
301 E. Howard St. Click for map
Built in 1891, the depot was a busy, important part of the life of early Decatur. As current preservation and restoration projects are completed, the depot will once again be a focal point for community activities.  
     

Fraser House

  Fraser House
Corner of Church and Bell streets Click for map
This two-roof tenement structure dates to 1870. It is framed with heavy timber, using mortise-and-tenon joinery. The Decatur Preservation Alliance moved the building to Bell St. from its original site on Clairemont Avenue.
     
High House   High House
Corner of N. Candler and Sycamore streets Click for map
The first two-story house in Decatur is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. According to legend, General Sherman stopped here during the Civil War.
     
Historic Sycamore Street   Historic Sycamore Street
Click for map
Originally called Covington Road, this was once a stagecoach route to Augusta through Covington, Madison and Eatonton. It is characterized by its fine houses - some of the largest in Decatur.
     
Historic House Complex  

Historic House Complex
716 and 720 W. Trinity Pl. Click for map
Two significant Decatur structures and two log cabin homes are located at this site. The Mary Gay House, operated by the DeKalb Junior League, is named for Mary Gay, author of Life in Dixie During the War. Some of her anecdotes later inspired scenes in Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind. Mark Twain referred to Mary Gay in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, in which some of her poetry is quoted. The Swanton House was home to Ami Williams, one of DeKalb's earliest settlers. It is now operated as a museum by the DeKalb History Center.

     
The M.A.K. Local Historic District   The M.A.K. Local Historic District
Click for map
The MAK Local Historic District is named for the three streets (McDonough, Adams and Kings Highway) included in Decatur's first locally designated historic district. The neighborhood is Decatur's first residential subdivision and sought listing as Decatur's first local historic district to protect its unique character.
     
The Methodist Chapel  

The Methodist Chapel
Corner of Sycamore St. and Commerce Dr.
Click for map
This chapel of Stone Mountain granite occupies the same property as the original log church, founded in 1826, and known today as Decatur First United Methodist Church.

     

Historic Oakhurst

  Historic Oakhurst
Click for map
One of the oldest parts of the City of Decatur, this area was the City of Oakhurst before it was annexed by the City of Decatur in the 1920s. It features many examples of bungalow-style residential structures, has a small commercial center and is the location of the old Scottish Rite Hospital, which is listed on the National Register of Historic places.
     
Historic Oakhurst   The Old Courthouse On the Square
101 E. Court Square Click for map
In 1823, the site for the public square was chosen at a point where two Indian trails met. The present courthouse is the fifth built on this site. Constructed in 1898, the building suffered extensive fire damage in 1917 and was rebuilt utilizing the granite walls and great columns of the original structure. It now serves as a welcome center and the home of the DeKalb History Center.
     
The Pythagoras Masonic Lodge   The Pythagoras Masonic Lodge
108 E. Ponce de Leon Ave. Click for map
The Pythagoras Masonic Lodge building, built in 1924, was designed by noted architect William Sayward, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
     
Sharian, Inc.   Sharian, Inc.
368 W. Ponce de Leon Ave. Click for map
Located in a distinctive art deco building, Sharian is one of Decatur's oldest businesses. Since 1931, Sharian has been recognized as a premier retailer of fine oriental rugs, offering antique, semi-antique and new rugs. With decades of knowledge they also provide professional cleaning, restoration and appraisals. Sharian's showroom is worth a visit.
     

South Candler Street

  South Candler Street 
Click for map
Called "the road to the depot" in Caroline McKinney Clarke's The Story of Decatur, 1823-1899, it has some of the loveliest Victorian homes remaining in Decatur. The South Candler Street neighborhood and the campus of Agnes Scott College were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, becoming Decatur's first official historic district.